The post is based at the University of Reading (part of Rural Business Research) and is primarily involved with the collection and analysis of physical and financial data from agricultural businesses in Central, Southern and South East England, in connection with the highly respected Farm Business Survey.
This is the longest running independent survey of farm businesses, confidentially providing information on the financial position and business performance of farmers and growers.
About the Post
- Involves collection and analysis of physical and financial data from agricultural businesses in connection with the Farm Business Survey, and providing benchmarking data
- Responsible for liaising with farmer co-operators, including travelling to farms
- Working within a specialised team, full training will be provided with on-going mentoring as the successful candidates progress to independent working
- Although the position is initially for one year, there is the expectation that this will be extended
- Holding an HND or degree, preferably in Agriculture or a related subject
- A good knowledge of UK farming systems and business management
- Excellent communication, organisational and administrative skills
- A high level of numeracy is essential, as is a good knowledge of Microsoft Office, and in particular the use of spreadsheets
- A willingness to work flexibly, as demanded by the nature of the role, is also essential
The University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce and we welcome applications for job share, part-time and flexible working arrangements which will be considered in line with business needs.
RESEARCH OFFICER – Farm Business Survey
Salary: £22,494 – £26,829 per annum, depending on skills and experience.
Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance.
Interview Date: Wednesday 13th December 2017
Applications are invited for the above post based at the Rural Business Research Unit (RBRU), in the School of Biosciences, Sutton Bonington Campus, The University of Nottingham. The RBRU forms part of Rural Business Research (RBR).
Further information regarding RBR and the Farm Business Survey can be found by visiting www.ruralbusinessresearch.co.uk/.
The post is primarily involved with the collection, analysis and processing of farm level and financial data, largely in connection with the highly respected Farm Business Survey. Working to common national procedures and quality standards within a small specialised team, the appointees will be responsible for liaising with farmer co-operators, including travelling to and from farms as a central aspect to the role. Full training will be provided together with on-going mentoring as the successful candidate progresses to independent working.
Candidates should have a HND (or equivalent) in Agriculture (specialising in Business Management), Agricultural Business Management or a related subject; alternatively it would be desirable to hold a degree in a relevant field. An excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, plus strong communication, administrative and organisational skills are required. A good knowledge of UK agriculture, farm business management and accountancy principles are also required for the role. A willingness to work flexibly, as demanded by the nature of the role, the ability to travel to and from farms in the UK and access to own transport are essential requirements.
This post is available from 1 January 2018 and will be offered on a full time, fixed-term contract of 10 months.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Helen McHoul tel: 0115 951 6071 or email email@example.com
Please note that applications sent directly to this email addresses will not be accepted.
For more details and/or to apply on-line please access: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/SCI406517
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resources Department, tel: 0115 951 5206.
Please quote ref. SCI406517. Closing date: Monday 4th December.